Better Homes and Garden Recipe! So glad I found this. So good, I want to share it with you!
12 oz. dried rigatonie
1 1/2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks (3 1/2 cups)
2 3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup all purpose flour
8 oz. smoked Gruyere Cheese, shredded (2 cups)
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 small sweet onions, cut into chunkds
3 oz. sourdough bread
2 tbsp. butter, melted
Fresh flad leaf Italian Parsley
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lightly butter a 3 qt au gratin or baking dish; set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain; transfer to a large bowl.
2. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan combine the squash and 2 1/2 cups of the milk over medium high heat. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium, and simmer until the squash is tender when pierced with a fork, 18 to 20 minutes. Stir together remaining 1/4 cup milk and flour; stir into squash mixture. Bring to boiling; cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the Gruyere until melted; keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, in a very large skillet cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels. set aside. Pour off all but 2 tbls bacon drippings. Return skillet to heat.
4. Add onions to skillet, cover and cook over low heat 10 min. Stir occasionally. Uncover, and increase heat to high. Cook 4 to 6 min more, stirring until onions are golden.
5. Add squash, cheese mixture, onions, and bacon to bowl with the pasta. Toss well to combine, then transfer to prepared baking dish.
6. Place bread in food processor and pulse to make coarse crumbs. About two cups worth. Transfer to bowl and mix with melted butter. Sprinkle remaining Gruyere and the bread crumbs over pasta mixture. Bake until top is browned (about 15 min) Cool 5 min and sprinkle with parsley.
ENJOY!! It is full of flavor that the whole family will enjoy!!! Who new Mac and Cheese could be good for you! 🙂