The old earth is changing;
The seasons turn round.
The Autumn leaves flutter
Their way to the ground.
My own world is changing;
The seasons conspire
To grant me the peace
Of a rest by the fire
I have been busy decorating and baking and loving life as the cooler temperatures are finally finally arriving! This is by far my most favorite time of the year! I love color and the fall colors are the most beautiful in my eyes. One of my favorite things to do is to sit outside as the sun begins to set and watch the golden colors of the Oaks come alive. It’s so beautiful!
Below is my Orange~Carrot Cake with Chocolate Ganache
See recipe below
This is my little Scarecrow that is supposed to scare the bunnies and the deer away from my lime tree….. as you can see, half the tree has been eaten! Maybe I should make her a little scarier looking?? lol She is a little worn and needs some touch up, but she is a fun addition to my front porch!
This is my entry way. I love decorating for the seasons with floral and lights. I have my wax warmer there as well, greeting my guests with a lovely fall aroma of Pumpkin spice! Love that smell! That particular smell always makes me want to bake…. so that explains the photo above of the cake! It’s my wax warmers fault! 🙂
I hope that this fall brings you as much joy as it brings to me and my family. Fall to me is a closing of the year we have had. It’s preparing us for new things to come. Just as the leaves begin to change and then fall, making room for new growth, our lives are doing the same thing. To me, it’s a spiritual time of letting go of the past and preparing for the new. Opening my heart to new adventures and new beginnings. Fall has always been such a healing time for me.
So enjoy the change around you, find quiet time to really watch the seasons change. It’s good for the soul!
Fall Blessings from my family, to your family!
Orange ~ Carrot Cake with Chocolate Ganache Recipe
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp finely shredded orange peel
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 11 ounce can mandarin orange sections, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 recipe orange cream cheese filling
- 1 recipe chocolate ganache
- Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease three 8×1 1/2 inch or 9 x 1 1/2 inch round cake pans. Line bottoms of the pans with waxed paper; grease the paper. Set pans aside. In a medium bowl stir together the flour, orange peel, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium speed for two minutes more. Add flour mixture to egg mixture. beat on low speed just until combined. Using a wooden spoon, stir in carrots and coconut. Gently fold in chopped orange sections. Pour batter evenly into the prepared pans, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean). Cool layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove layers from pans, peel off waxed paper. Cool thoroughly on wire racks.
- To assemble, place one cake layer on a serving plate. Tope with half o f the Orange Cream Cheese Filling, spreading evenly. Repeat layers. Add op cake layer. Spoon Chocolate Ganache over cake and let it drip down the sides.
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate
- In a small saucepan bring whipping ream just to boiling over medium high heat. Remove from heat. Add chocolate (do not stir) let stand for 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Let stand at room temperature until slightly thickened.
Orange ~ Cream Cheese Filling
- 2 3 ounce packages cream cheese, softened.
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- In a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in orange marmalade and powdered sugar.
Go ahead… treat yourself from time to time. Enjoy the life that you are gifted and just indulge once in a while!